As Metadata Librarian I assist with complex cataloging, record maintenance, and providing access to the library's print and electronic resources. I monitor the metadata standards environment to ensure the library's practices are in line with nationally and internationally established best practices. I am also involved in the library's digital initiatives, helping with metadata enhancements, migrations, and other system implementations. I am interested in ontology development and finding ways to improve user experiences through library metadata.
Publications and Presentations
- Pastva, Joelen. “Introduction to OpenRefine.” CARLI Technical Services Spring Forum. Heartland Community College, Normal, IL. 21 April 2016. Conference presentation.
- Pastva, Joelen. “Simplified cataloging for non-catalogers through FAST.” ALA Midwinter Meeting. Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Boston, MA. 9 Jan. 2016. Conference presentation.
- Pastva, Joelen, Gwen Gregory, and Violet Fox. “Keep calm and carry on: the new technical services.” Creating the 21-st Century Academic Library. Ed. Brad Eden. Vol. 6. Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, Nov. 2015. Print. http://hdl.handle.net/10027/20435
- Pastva, Joelen and Valerie Harris. “PunkCore: Developing an Application Profile for the Culture of Punk.” Metadata Intersections: Bridging the Archipelago of Cultural Memory: International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications. Dublin Core Metadata Initiative. Austin, Texas. 10 Oct. 2014. Poster presentation.
Other Professional Activities
- ILA Best Practices Committee (appointed) – 2016-2018 term
- CARLI Technical Services Committee – 2015 – present
- ACLTS Standards Committee
- Intern, 2014-2015
- Member 2015 – present
Updated: June 3rd, 2016 11:53