Why create an account on the Galter Library website?
Your Galter Library website account is your gateway to the majority of services and online resources available to library users. Most Feinberg School of Medicine affiliates with Galter Library website accounts have the following benefits:
- Access full-text journals and books from any location
- Create, view and share user- and librarian-created GalterLists
- Request and access Interlibrary Loans (ILL) and photocopies
- Register for library classes
Eligibility to use online services at Galter Library
Online services at the Galter Library include remote access to the library's electronic resources and access to the library website's customization features. While searching the library website is free to everyone, most online services require registration for a library website account. These services and full remote access to Galter's resources are available to the following groups:
- currently-affiliated Feinberg School of Medicine faculty, staff, students, and residents
- physicians and staff at NMH and the former NMFF
- Feinberg School of Medicine faculty at Northwestern Medicine (NM) locations* other than NMH and former NMFF
*Feinberg School of Medicine faculty and residents who work at Lurie Children's, Lake Forest Hospital, and other NM locations have online access privileges (i.e. remote access to online resources). Staff and physicians at these locations without an FSM faculty appointment do not.
Interlibrary loan and document delivery services are also available to these groups.
For a complete listing of access privileges, see this Access Privileges grid.
If you are not a member of one of these groups, but are still affiliated with Northwestern University, you may still be able to create an account on our website, but will not have access to resources that are licensed for only Feinberg School of Medicine affiliates. Please use the Northwestern library with which your school is affiliated to get access to services such as remote access and document delivery. If you think you should have access to online services at the Galter Library and you are unable to access or register for our services, please contact the Reference Desk at 312-503-8109.
What about NU Students and Faculty not affiliated with FSM?
NU students and faculty who aren't affiliated with the Feinberg School of Medicine, but have an interest in the health sciences, including those in the MS in Medical Informatics (MMI) and the MS in Clinical Research and Regulatory Administration programs in the School of Professional Studies (SPS), are also welcome to create and use Galter library website accounts. However, they will not have access to resources restricted to FSM affiliates.
SPS students should use Schaffner Library for Interlibrary loan services.
Do alumni have remote access to online library resources?
Alumni of the Feinberg School of Medicine are not eligible to create a library website account, but have access to some library services for a fee. The Galter Health Sciences Library is unable to provide alumni with remote access to licensed online journals, books or databases to which the library subscribes. Alumni are welcome to visit the library in person or use the library's Loansome Doc service to obtain journal articles for a fee. Please see the Alumni Gateway page for further information.
I'm a nurse/staff member/physician at a Northwestern Medicine clinic. Can I use the online resources?
At this time, we can only provide remote access to online resources to the groups listed above. If you are FSM faculty or an FSM resident at Lurie Children's, Lake Forest Hospital, or any other NM location, you can obtain online access using the process described here. Nurses and staff at locations other than NMH, RIC, or former NMFF cannot get online access.
What you need to create an account
All users wishing to register for online services need two pieces of unique identifying information:
- a Northwestern University NetID and password
- a WildCARD or library barcode number
Follow these instructions to obtain this information and create an account on the Galter Library website.
If you are:
- a student or a resident at the Feinberg School of Medicine or an MMI student* at the School of Continuing Studies
- faculty or staff employed at the Feinberg School of Medicine
Use the barcode on your WildCARD and your NetID to register. You can obtain a WildCARD from the WildCARD office in Abbott Hall, 710 N. Lake Shore Drive, Suite 100 and a NetID by calling NUIT at 1-HELP.
*MMI students should have received their WildCARD barcode and NetID in their orientation materials. If you have not, contact the Reference Desk using your NU email address.
- Check to see if you have a NetID by searching in the NU Online Directory.
- If you already have a NetID, but don't know your NetID password (because it's forgotten or expired), you can try to reset your NetID password online.
- If the online option does not work for you, you can visit the NUIT Support Kiosk located in the WildCARD office in Abbott Hall. Here you can receive an activation code that you can use to log in to NU Validate and update a forgotten or expired NetID password.
- If you cannot reset your NetID password online or are unable to visit the NUIT Support Kiosk, contact NUIT at 847-491-HELP.
If you are:
- Feinberg School of Medicine faculty, but you are not employed by Northwestern University
- a physician or staff member employed at NMH, RIC, former NMFF
Step 1: Get a NetID by contacting your NetID administrator - this is someone in your department who is responsible for obtaining NetIDs for your department. If you do not know who this is, contact the Galter Library for further information.
Step 2: Get a WildCARD or library barcode number. If you do not have a WildCARD or library barcode number, bring your hospital badge to the Health Learning Center @ NMH, the Life Center @ RIC, or the Galter Library to get one.
Once you have both a NetID and a WildCARD/barcode number, you can create an account on the Galter Library website.
Updated: July 13th, 2017 10:28