Why create an account on the Galter Library website?
Your Galter Library website account is your gateway to the services and online resources available to library users. Galter Library website accounts have the following benefits:
- Access full-text journals and books from any location
- Register for library classes
Eligibility to use online services at Galter Library
Full remote access to Galter's resources are available to the following groups:
- currently-affiliated Feinberg School of Medicine faculty, staff, students, and residents
- physicians and staff at NMH
- Feinberg School of Medicine faculty at Northwestern Medicine (NM) locations* other than NMH
*Feinberg School of Medicine faculty and residents who work at Lurie Children's, Lake Forest Hospital, and other NM locations have online access privileges (i.e. remote access to online resources). Staff and physicians at these locations without an FSM faculty appointment do not.
Interlibrary loan and document delivery services are also available to these groups.
For a complete listing of access privileges, see this Access Privileges grid.
If you are not a member of one of these groups, but are still affiliated with Northwestern University, you may still be able to create an account on our website, but will not have access to resources that are licensed for only Feinberg School of Medicine affiliates. Please use the Northwestern library with which your school is affiliated to get access to services such as remote access and document delivery. If you think you should have access to online services at the Galter Library and you are unable to access or register for our services, please contact the Reference Desk at 312-503-8109.
What about NU Students and Faculty not affiliated with FSM?
NU students and faculty who aren't affiliated with the Feinberg School of Medicine but have an interest in the health sciences are also welcome to create and use Galter library website accounts. However, they will not have access to resources restricted to Feinberg School of Medicine affiliates.
SPS students should choose Schaffner Library when registering for Interlibrary Loan services.
Do alumni have remote access to online library resources?
Alumni of the Feinberg School of Medicine are not eligible to create a library website account, but have access to some library services for a fee. The Galter Health Sciences Library is unable to provide alumni with remote access to licensed online journals, books or databases to which the library subscribes. Alumni are welcome to visit the library in person or use the library's Loansome Doc service to obtain journal articles for a fee. Please see the Alumni Gateway page for further information.
I'm a nurse/staff member/physician at a Northwestern Medicine clinic. Can I use the online resources?
At this time, we can only provide remote access to online resources to the groups listed above. Nurses and staff at locations other than NMH cannot get online access.
What you need to create an account
All users wishing to create a Galter Library online account should register with the librarian at their institution. See the list of affiliated hospital libraries to identify your contact. The librarian at your institution will help you with your research and information needs as well as validate (or possibly help you obtain) a Northwestern NetID.
Once you have spoken with the librarian at your institution, use your Northwestern NetID and password to sign in to the Galter website. Your account is created the first time you successfully sign in.
- The library does not issue or maintain NetIDs and associated passwords.
- Check to see if you have a NetID by searching in the NU Online Directory.
- If you already have a NetID, but don't know your NetID password (because it's forgotten or expired), you can try to reset your NetID password online.
- If the online option does not work for you, you can visit the NUIT Support Kiosk located in the WildCARD office in Abbott Hall. Here you can receive an activation code that you can use to log in to NU Validate and update a forgotten or expired NetID password.
- If you cannot reset your NetID password online or are unable to visit the NUIT Support Kiosk, contact NUIT at 847-491-HELP.
Updated: July 6th, 2018 16:24