Note to Mac users:
Please be aware that there are some issues of compatibility between all current versions of EndNote and macOS Sierra (version 10.12).
Sierra interferes with EndNote's handling of PDF attachments, and possibly with managing other elements of your library, such as where styles and groups information are stored. If you can, please delay installing macOS Sierra or higher until Apple and EndNote have developed a fix for these issues.
The university provides a site license for EndNote. Current Northwestern students, faculty and staff with valid Net IDs can download EndNote at no charge because of their affiliation to Northwestern. You are eligible to download it to both your work and home computers. If you do not know your Net ID or are having problems downloading the software, please contact the NUIT Support Center. Also, see Note to hospital-based users below.
- Download EndNote (you will be prompted to sign in using your NetID and password).
Important: A zipped folder will be downloaded to your computer. Do not double click on the zipped folder. Instead, right click and extract the contents of the folder to your computer desktop. Use the installer file inside this new folder.
- After installing the software, run the EndNote Program Update. In EndNote, go to Help > EndNote Program Updates and follow the on-screen prompts.
The latest version of EndNote installs with a limited number of output styles, connection files and filters. You may need to download additional files from the EndNote website to ensure that you can directly export citations smoothly into EndNote or can create bibliographies in the journal style of your choosing. Follow these links on the EndNote website to obtain the files you need:
- Output styles (so your bibliographies can be formatted in the journal style you choose)
- Connection files (so you can directly connect to and search databases from EndNote)
- Filters (so you can directly export or import citations from literature databases into EndNote)
Note to hospital-based users: If you are based at an NU-affiliated hospital, you may experience problems downloading the EndNote software to your hospital computer. This is usually due to download restrictions imposed on hospital computers by your Information Systems support. Before trying to install EndNote, please contact the Information Systems support at the hospital where you are based. You can also download EndNote to your home computer. Please follow the download instructions carefully.
Introductory EndNote Guides and Videos
Advanced EndNote Guides and Videos
- Advanced EndNote (includes brief how-to videos)
- Can I create an EndNote library from a non-EndNote document or old bibliography?
- Configuring EndNote to access full-text articles through Northwestern’s OpenURL resolver (Findit@NU)
- See Galter Library's EndNote FAQs for more advanced topics
- For more tips and guides, see the Northwestern University Library EndNote Support page
Updated: June 15th, 2017 16:16