As the Head of the Digital Systems and Collection Services (DSCS) Department I oversee the creation, development, and maintenance of the library's website, evaluation and implementation of technologies that support the goals and mission of the library, acquisitions, licensing, collection development, cataloging, and electronic and print resources management in support of the library's goal to have a robust collection that serves the library's users. I manage the institutional repository, DigitalHub, based on open source architecture – Fedora/Hydra stack with IIIF server and OpenSeadragon image viewer. As the Head of the DSCS I work with a wide range of campus stakeholders to develop and implement programs that increase awareness about scholarly communication issues in the digital environment among faculty, researchers, and students at Feinberg School of Medicine.
- Ilik, V. (2017). Report of the ALCTS/LITA Linked Library Data Interest Group Meeting. American Library Association Annual Conference. Orlando, June 2016. Technical Services Quarterly, 34(1), 95-104. doi:10.1080/07317131.2017.1238211
- Ilik, V. (2015). “Distributed Person Data: Using Semantic Web Compliant Data in Subject Name Headings” In Conference Proceedings, edited by Aida Slavic and Maria Inês Cordeiro, International UDC Seminar, Classification and Authority Control: Expanding Resource Discovery. (pp. 53-65). Würzburg: Ergon Verlag. http://dx.doi.org/10.18131/G32G7X
- Ilik, V. (2015). “Visual Representation of Academic Communities through Viewshare” Library Resources and Technical Services 59 (1). http://dx.doi.org/10.5860/lrts.59n1.43
- Ilik, V. (2015). "Cataloger Makeover: Creating Non-MARC Name Authority Records" Cataloging & Classification Quarterly http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01639374.2014.961626
- Ilik, V., Storlien, J., and Olivarez, J. (2014). “Metadata Makeover: Transforming MARC Records Using XSLT.”Library Resources and Technical Services 58 (3): 187-208. http://dx.doi.org/10.5860/lrts.58n3.187
- Ilik, V., Potvin, S., Ho, J., Tucker, S., Clement, G., Creel, J., and Wan, G. (2014). "Collecting and Digitizing Forgotten Graduate Student Scholarship: The PILOs Project at Texas A&M University" Collection Management 39 (4). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01462679.2014.937515
- Ilik, V., Storlien, J., & Olivarez, J. (2013). "Can Viewshare Be Used as a Research Network Visualization Tool? A Case Study Based on STEM Departments at Texas A&M University." Journal of Library Metadata 13 (4). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19386389.2013.846626
- Mandell, L. and Ilik, V. (2013). "The Role of XSLT in Digital Libraries, Editions, and Cultural Exhibits." in T. Aalberg et al. (Eds.): TPDL 2013, LNCS 8092,(Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 2013), pp. 482-3. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-40501-3_67
- Ilik, V. (2012). "Off-Site Storage from a Cataloging Point of View." The Serials Librarian 63(3-4): 350-358. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0361526X.2012.717525
Presentations & Posters
- Ilik, Violeta (2017). Beyond the Manuscript: Using IRs for Non-traditional Content Types. Chicago, Illinois, United States: Galter Health Sciences Library, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 2017. NISO Virtual Conference: Institutional Repositories: Ensuring Yours is Populated, Useful and Thriving. February 15, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.18131/G3VP6R.
- Riemer, John, Ilik, Violeta, and PCC Task Group on Identity Management in NACO (2017): Authority Control’ see (also) ‘Identity Management. LITA/ALCTS Authority Control Interest Group. American Library Association Midwinter Meeting, Atlanta, GA, January 22, 2017.
- White, Marijane, Essaid, Shahim, Brush, Matthew; Gutzman, Karen; Rademaker, Alexandre; Johnson, Tenille, Javed, Muhammad, Corson-Rikert, Jon, Chacko, George, Conlon, Michael, Viggio, Alex, Lindquist, Thea, Holmes, Kristi, Haendel, Melissa, Ilik, Violeta (2016): Who we are and what we contribute: The Open Research Information Framework as a means to understand scholarship. VIVO 2016 Conference, Denver, CO, August 18, 2016. https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3753345.v1
- Conlon, Michael, Graham Triggs, Violeta Ilik, Ted Lawless, Kristi Holmes, Jim Blake, Paul Friedman, et al. 2016. “OpenVIVO: A VIVO Anyone Can Join.” https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3444179.v2. OR 2016, Dublin, IE, June 14, 2016.
- Haendel, Melissa; Holmes, Kristi; Ilik, Violeta; McMurry, Julie; Conlon, Michael; Brush, Matthew (2016): An ecosystem of contributions. figshare. https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3180364.v2. Force 2016 Conference, Portland, OR, April 2016.
- Gutzman, Karen; Konkiel, Stacy; White, Marijane; Brush, Matthew; Ilik, Violeta; Conlon, Michael; Haendel, Melissa; Holmes, Kristi (2016): Attribution of Work in the Scholarly Ecosystem. figshare. https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3175198.v1. Force 2016 Conference, Portland, OR, April 2016.
- Conlon, Michael; Triggs, Graham; Ilik, Violeta; Lawless, Ted; Holmes, Kristi; Blake, Jim; Friedman, Paul; Javed, Muhammed; Haendel, Melissa; White, Marijane; Eichmann, David; Porter, Simon; Szomszor, Martin; Serafin, John; Essaid, Shahim; Rademaker, Alexandre; Brush, Matthew; Gutzman, Karen (2016): OpenVIVO: A VIVO anyone can join. figshare. https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3175072.v1. Force 2016 Conference, Portland, OR, April 2016.
- Ilik, Violeta; Hebal, Piotr; Olson, Tony; Stirnaman, Jason; Kubilius, Ramune; Wishnetsky, Susan; Gutzman, Karen; Shank, Jonathan; Holmes, Kristi (2016). Supporting the spectrum of scholarship in DigitalHub. figshare. https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3159853.v1. Force 2016 Conference, Portland, OR, April 2016.
- Ilik, V. (2016). Navigating the Digital Scholar Sphere. Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE), Faculty Advisory Council. Chicago, Illinois, United States: Galter Health Sciences Library, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University. http://dx.doi.org/10.18131/G3Q59G
- Ilik, V. (2015). Distributed person data: using Semantic Web compliant data in subject name headings. International UDC Seminar, Classification and Authority Control: Expanding Resource Discovery, Lisbon, Portugal, October 29, 2015.
- Ilik, V. (2015). DigitalHub - a living record of scholarly output. Midwest Fedora Users Group Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 22, 2015.
- Ilik, V., Hebal, P., and Holmes, K. (2015). Using VIVO-ISF Ontology in Open Repositories. VIVO 2015 Conference, Cambridge, MA, August 13, 2015. https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.2002149
- Friedman, P., Kibbe, W., Ilik, V., Starren, J., and Holmes, K. (2015). Moving a Custom Application to use VIVO-Compliant Linked Open Data. VIVO 2015 Conference, Cambridge, MA, August 13, 2015. https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.2002158
- Ilik, V. (2015). What do MARC, RDF, and OWL have in common? Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) Participants Meeting. American Library Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, June 28, 2015
- Hebal, P., Ilik, V., and Holmes, K. (2015). Starting from scratch – building the perfect digital repository. Open Repositories 2015, Indianapolis, IN, June 9, 2015
- Ilik, V. (2015). Karma data integration: creating semantic web compliant VIVO data. VIVO iFest, Portland, OR, March 16, 2015
- Ilik, V. (2015). Dos and Don’ts of extending the VIVO ontology. VIVO iFest, Portland, OR, March 16, 2015
- Ilik, V., and Friedman, P. (2015). Creating local ontology extensions. VIVO Apps & Tools Working Group Call, February 10, 2015
- Ilik, V. (2014). Distributed Person Data. NISO Virtual Conference: Can't We All Work Together?: Interoperability & Systems Integration, November 19, 2014
- Haendel, M., Lowe, B., and Ilik, V. (2014). The Case For Stable VIVO URIs. VIVO/SciTS Conference, Austin, TX, August 8, 2014
- Chiang, K., Holmes, K., Ilik, V., Shanahan, Ch. (2014). Promoting ORCID Adoption in the Academic Institutional Ecosystem: Progress Reports from Adoption & Integration Partners. VIVO/SciTS Conference, Austin, TX, August 7, 2014.
- Rademaker, A and Ilik, V. (2014). Using OAI-PMH protocol for Data Ingest into VIVO Instances. VIVO/SciTS Conference, Austin, TX, August 7, 2014.
- Ilik, V. (2014). Supporting a scholar’s online identity with VIVO and ORCIDs. Texas STEM Librarians’ Conference, College Station, TX, July 17, 2014. Duration: 45 minutes.
- Clement, G., Cooper, M., Hahn, D., Ilik, V., and Tucker, S. (2014). It Takes a Village to Grow ORCIDs on Campus: Establishing and Integrating Unique Scholar Identifiers at Texas A&M. Texas Conference on Digital Libraries, Austin, TX, May 6-7, 2014.
- Ilik, V., (2014). Modeling data with Karma data integration tool (semantic web compliant data for VIVO 1.5 instance). VIVO Apps & Tools Working Group Call, April 1, 2014
- Haendel, M., and Ilik, V. (2014). Integrating with others: Stable VIVO URIs for local authority records; linking to VIAF; ORCID organizational identifiers; W3C Dataset ontology work. VIVOiFest - Durham, NC 2014
- Ilik, V. (2014). Modeling data with Karma data integration tool (semantic web compliant data for VIVO 1.5 instance). VIVOiFest - Durham, NC 2014.
- Ilik, V. (2014). Cataloger Makeover - FSRC - Rome, Italy 2014.
- Bolton, M., Clement, G., Ilik, V., and Tucker, S. (2013). Access to Graduate Scholarship in VIVO: Establishing Connections and Tracing Academic Lineage. DLF Forum, Austin, TX 2013.
- Ilik, V. (2013). Reuse, repurpose. American Library Association Annual Meeting - Chicago, IL, June 2013.
- Ilik, V. (2013). Visualizing data. Texas Conference on Digital Libraries, Austin, TX 2013.
- Ilik, V. (2013). Linked data - the first step is the hardest. American Library Association Midwinter Meeting - Seattle, WA 2013.
- Ilik, V. (2012). Challenges of displaying metadata from Voyager, SFX, Metalib & Primo. Ex Libris Northeast Users Group (ENUG) - Ithaca, NY 2012.
- Data integration with Karma - Pedro Szekely and Violeta Ilik - VIVO 2016 Workshop, Denver, CO, August 17, 2016
- DigitalHub: Preserving and Sharing Your Work Using NM's Repository - Violeta Ilik - Galter Health Sciences Library regular class, Chicago, IL, December 2015 -
- Karma is a Tool! - Violeta Ilik - VIVO 2015 Workshop "Managing Your Data Flows: Architecture and Data Provenance For Your Institution" Cambridge, MA, August 12, 2015
- Transforming MARCXML Records Using XSLT - Violeta Ilik - Webinar, Hosted by ALCTS - Association for Library Collections and Technical Services, March 4, 2015
- Modeling Data with Karma – Data Integration Tool (semantic web compliant data for VIVO 1.6 and 1.7 instances) - Violeta Ilik - VIVO/SciTS Conference, Austin, TX, August 6, 2014.
- VIVO for beginners – running a local VIVO installation and importing research information data - Lukas Koster, Ina Blümel, Gabriel Birke*, Violeta Ilik*, and Ted Lawless* - ELAG Conference, Bath, UK June 10-13, 2014
- XSLT for Metadata - Programming for Humanists - Spring semester 2014 - Texas A&M University - The Initiative for Digital Humanities, Media, and Culture (IDHMC)
- What is Metadata? What Libraries need - Programming for Humanists - Spring semester 2014 - Texas A&M University - The Initiative for Digital Humanities, Media, and Culture (IDHMC)
- The Role of XSLT in Digital Libraries, Editions, and Cultural Exhibits - TPDL 2013, Valletta, Malta - Sept. 22nd 2013 (slides from the presentation; website of the project)
- Serials Cataloging Cooperative Training Program (SCCTP) - Serials Holdings Workshop - Dec. 2012, College Station, TX
- XSLT Book Workshop - Nov. 2012, College Station, TX
Professional Memberships and Service
American Library Association (ALA), Member
ALCTS Scholarly Communication Interest Group, Chair
VIVO17, Conference Program Chair
VIVO Camp Task Force, Member
NASIG Program, Vice-Chair
PCC Identity Management Task Group
Medical Library Association (MLA), Member
OpenRIF, Development Team, Member
Updated: February 16th, 2017 10:19