By Karen Gutzman, Head, Research Assessment and Communications Librarian
Each year, Clarivate Analytics releases a list of highly cited researchers, who have “demonstrated significant and broad influence, reflected in the publication of multiple papers frequently cited by their peers during the last decade.”
Below is a list of the Feinberg researchers who made the list in 2022, their appointment at the medical school and the category they were identified in. Congratulations! (Please note that faculty may have more than one appointment.)
- David Cella, PhD, Medical Social Sciences, in Social Sciences
- Navdeep Chandel, PhD, Medicine (Pulmonary and Critical Care), in Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Mark C. Hersam, PhD, Medicine (Pulmonary and Critical Care), in Materials Science
- Shana O. Kelley, PhD, Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, in Cross-Field
- Donald M. Lloyd-Jones, MD, Preventive Medicine, in Clinical Medicine
- Chad A. Mirkin, PhD, Medicine (Hematology and Oncology), in Cross-Field
- Brian Mustanski, PhD, Medical Social Sciences, in Cross-Field
- Amy S. Paller, MD, Dermatology, in Cross-Field
- John A. Rogers, PhD, Neurological Surgery, in Materials Science
- Sanjiv J. Shah, MD, Medicine (Cardiology), in Clinical Medicine
- Jeffrey A. Sosman, MD, Medicine (Hematology and Oncology), in Clinical Medicine
- Richard G. Wunderink, MD, Medicine (Pulmonary and Critical Care), in Cross-Field
- Clyde W. Yancy, MD, Medicine (Cardiology) in Clinical Medicine
Clarivate evaluates papers that were published and cited from 2011 to 2021 and ranked in the top 1 percent by citations for the field and year. Approximately 6,938 highly cited researchers were identified in 2022, with around 4,000 in specific fields and 3,200 for cross-field performance.
Thirty-two Northwestern researchers are included on this 2022 list and represent departments across the university. This year, Northwestern moved up to be ranked 33rd in the world for the number of highly cited researchers, from 39th in 2021.
The specific fields that Clarivate Analytics utilizes for classification are the 21 fields that are delineated in the Essential Science Indicators (ESI), a database focused on emerging science trends that is updated every two months and contains a 10-year rolling file. They determine the number of researchers to be selected in each field by taking the square root of the authors that are listed in that field’s highly cited papers.
The thresholds for fields related to Feinberg are noted in the table below:
|ESI Field||Number of highly cited researchers|
|Molecular Biology & Genetics||206|
Clarivate began identifying researchers with cross-field impact in 2018 in an effort to recognize individuals who demonstrate “exceptional performance across several fields.” Their calculation methods for this distinction involves normalizing the highly cited paper and citation counts through fractional counting according to the thresholds required for each field. There is detailed information on their methodology available on their website.
Clarivate reminds us that “although this list is updated and refreshed each year, a Highly Cited Researcher is always a Highly Cited Researcher — whether their name was included in 2014 or 2022.”
Read the full report on Highly Cited Researchers for 2022
Updated: March 2, 2023