Galter Health Sciences Library would like to extend a warm welcome to all returning and new students who have just joined us at Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine! Get to know a little bit more about us and how we can best support you.
- Monday to Friday: 8am — 8pm*
- Saturday: 10am — 6pm*
- Sunday: 12pm — 8pm*
Reference & Support Services
- Liaison Librarians:
- Galter offers monthly classes to support your research and information needs. See what classes are being offered each month and register on Galter’s Class Homepage.
- GalterGuides serve as your one-stop portal for library instructional content and expert-recommended subject resources.
- Specialized Support
- Library Services FAQs
Printing & Scanning Services
Printing is available from the first-floor study area and the second floor (near the elevator). You can print from a library computer or a personal device with Northwestern Print by following these instructions.
- Physically connected to the campus network (desktop computers with an ethernet cable)
- Connected to eduroam - Northwestern's Wireless Network. Guest-Northwestern wifi will not work.
- OR on the Northwestern / Global Connect VPN
Galter Library’s BookScan Station is located in the Eckenhoff reading room on the first floor. You can email a scan or save it to a USB device or Google docs free of charge.
Library Space & Equipment
- Conference Rooms are located on the second floor. Each room has a whiteboard and a monitor equipped with Solstice wireless display technology. When they are not being used for instruction, Galter’s conference rooms can be reserved for group study by filling out this form. You can also check with the front desk to inquire about availability.
- First Floor Public Computers: By signing in with your NetID and password, you can use the computer workstations through the first-floor study spaces of the library. Galter also provides several research specific computers equipped with software packages dedicated to handling statistical and bioinformatics workflows.
- Second Floor Computer Classroom: When it is not being used for instruction, the second floor computer classroom (room 2-201) is available for student use during open hours.
Collections Locations & Reserves:
- Print resources can be found in the Eckenhoff reading room on the first floor of the library, Dollie’s Corner on the second floor of the library, or can be requested from our off-site storage facility. Galter’s Collection Location & Call Number Index
- Course Reserves are located at the circulation desk on the first floor of the library. Instructors place required and/or recommended materials on Course Reserve that can be checked out for a shortened loan period
- Use our Interlibrary Loan services to obtain books, articles, and audiovisual materials that are not available in Galter Library.
Equipment for Loan:
Galter Library has a variety of equipment to support your learning. Most equipment is designed for use in the library and is limited to a 3-hour check-out period. Items with longer circulation times are noted below. Limited quantities of equipment are available, and all equipment is first come, first served. Inquire at the Circulation desk to check out any of the items below.
- iPads: Two iPads with the Complete Anatomy app are available. The iPads also have Solstice installed if you wish to view content on one of the larger monitors in our conference rooms.
- Blood Pressure Cuffs: Most blood pressure cuffs can be taken for a 24-hour loan, due back the next business day. We strive to always keep one cuff on hand in the library and limit one or two cuffs to a 3-hour checkout period so all students may have access to the equipment.
- Oto / Ophthalmoscopes: The library has several Oto / Ophthalmoscope kits available for a 3-day loan period. Loan periods may be extended by request for students who need them during a clinical rotation.
- Charging Cables: A variety of charging cables for most phones as well as laptops and tablets are available. Phone cables include USB-C, Lightning, or USB micro connectors and device cables include USBC and Apple MagSafe2 connectors.
- Anatomical Models: Anatomical Models are checked out at the front desk and can be used anywhere in the library. See Galter’s full list of anatomical models.
Updated: August 11, 2023