Library Benefactors

PDF

Explore this page to find out more about our benefactors and the collections supported by their funds.

back to top
 

Archibald Church Medical Library Fund

The Archibald Church Fund was established by Dr. and Mrs. Church in 1926 and became the first endowment of the Medical Library when the University consolidated its professional schools on Chicago Avenue. Dr. Church was professor of nervous and mental diseases from 1893 to 1946. The Church name is retained in the library as the Archibald Church History of Medicine Collection. The fund supports general library acquisitions.

back to top
 

Augusta Elizabeth Lehman Fund

This fund supports general library acquisitions.

back to top
 

Barbara Farr Chinnock Memorial Fund

Cancer research and treatment are the focus of the Chinnock Memorial Fund.

back to top
 

Ben and Stella Eckenhoff

Dr. and Mrs. James E. Eckenhoff created the Ben and Stella Eckenhoff Memorial Fund and the Eckenhoff Special Book Trust to support the Medical School's library in the fields of anesthesiology and cancer research and patient care. Dr. Eckenhoff was Dean of the Medical School from 1970 to 1983. Prior to his appointment as Dean, Dr. Eckenhoff established and chaired the Medical School's Department of Anesthesia in 1966. A respected scholar in the field of anesthesiology, Dr. Eckenhoff received many honors including recognition by the Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Medicine.

The Ben and Stella Eckenhoff Memorial Fund is used to support journal acquisitions in the field of oncology. The Eckenhoff Special Book Trust supports journal acquisitions, particularly in the field of anesthesiology.

back to top
 

Charles D. Salmon Fund

The Salmon Fund provides acquisitions in the fields of medical history, ethics and humanities.

back to top
 

Eli L. and Violet S. Tigay Fund

The Tigay Fund allows for the acquisition of resources in the field of neurology.

back to top
 

Emil Jenisch Fund

This fund supports general library acquisitions.

back to top
 

Evelyn H. Kaiser Fund

The Kaiser Fund is used to acquire resources in psychiatry.

back to top
 

F.A. Hudson Endowment for Medical Education

This fund supports general library acquisitions.

back to top
 

H.J. Louis Fund

The Louis Fund assists in the acquisition of resources for surgery.

back to top
 

Jack and Dollie Galter

The Galters contributed $10 million for the renovation, restoration and expansion of the Medical School library in 1990. Through their generosity, the library expanded its physical space to 45,000 net square feet, added additional user seating, expanded new staff offices and work areas, and constructed stack space to accommodate growth in our print collections. The upgraded facility allowed the merger of the Medical School and Dental School libraries into one cohesive health sciences library, and a new technological base was installed to prepare the Galter Library for the 21st century.

The Galters were long-time friends of the Medical School and Northwestern Memorial Hospital and made numerous contributions in support of health care and biomedical research.

(Jack Galter died in 1993; Dollie Galter died in 2001)

back to top
 

Jack D. and DeLoris Lange Fund

Dr. Jack Lange is a 1940 graduate of the Medical School. Dr. Lange is known for his success as a medical publisher creating Lange Medical Books in 1937. After leaving Northwestern, Dr. Lange joined the faculty of the medical school at the University of California, San Francisco and remained there for nearly 40 years. This fund supports general library acquisitions.

back to top
 

John H. Helgo Fund

The Helgo Fund supports acquisitions in pediatrics.

back to top
 

Joseph B. De Lee Fund

The De Lee Fund is named for the former Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. De Lee was chair from 1897 to 1929. The fund is used to purchase books and journals in obstetrics and gynecology.

back to top
 

Lee Albert Counsell Fund for the Development of the Oral Health Collection

Dr. Lee Albert Counsell was a 1948 graduate of Northwestern University Dental School. His contribution to the Galter Library supports the library's ongoing collection of resources in the field of oral health.

The Counsell fund is used for the purchase of oral surgery books and journals.

back to top
 

Lester S. Abelson Fund

The Abelson Fund supports the acquisitions of resources in nutrition.

back to top
 

Lloyd B. Crow Library Fund

The Crow Fund supports the Galter Library's Barnes Learning Resources Center (LRC). The LRC was established in 1978. The fund provides for the acquisition of appropriate hardware and software resources. The LRC is a critical element in medical education for the undergraduate and graduate curriculum.

This fund has been used to purchase many of the library's curriculum-related videorecordings, models, books, and computer-aided instruction (CAI) software, including:

  • Acland's video atlas of human anatomy
  • Secret people, the naked face of leprosy in America [videorecording]
  • Dynamic human anatomy [CAI]
  • Classic human skull [model]
  • Functional model of the elbow joint [model]
  • Muscles of the leg [model]
back to top
 

Medical Centennial Library Fund

This fund was created in 1951 to commemorate the centennial of Northwestern University and is used to support the library's collections.

back to top
 

Michael A. Gertz Fund

This fund supports general library acquisitions.

back to top
 

Michael Henry Barnes Fund

The Barnes Fund supports the Galter Library's Barnes Learning Resources Center (LRC). The LRC was established in 1978 and named for the Barnes family. The funds provide for the acquisition of appropriate hardware and software.The LRC is a critical element in medical education for the undergraduate and graduate curriculum.

back to top
 

Natalie A. and Louis D. Boshes Neurosciences Library Fund

The Boshes Neurosciences Library, housed within the Galter Library, consists of the monograph collection in neurosciences. With ongoing support from this fund the library is able to maintain a current collection of information resources to support faculty and students conducting neuroscience research. Dr. Boshes was devoted to Northwestern and was associated with the University starting with his undergraduate and professional education, graduating in 1931 and 1936 respectively, his internship and residency in 1940 to 1942 and his appointment on the faculty from 1938 to 1963.

The Boshes fund is used to purchase neurosciences books.

back to top
 

Richard H. Young Fund

Dr. Young was Dean of the Medical School from 1949 to 1970. This fund supports general library acquisitions.

back to top
 

Stanley J. Seeger Fund

Dr. Seeger graduated from Northwestern University in 1911 and received an Alumni Merit Award from the University in 1937. The Seeger Fund supports the acquisition of resources in pediatrics.

back to top
 

Wolfer Surgical Library Fund

Dr. John A. Wolfer graduated from Northwestern University Medical School in 1908 and taught surgery in various instructional positions at the University from 1910 to the late 1940s. The Wolfer Fund is an endowment in support of surgery resources.

back to top
 

Updated: August 14th, 2017 09:11