- User funds are tracked through a secure database and can be added by cash or credit card
- The follow-me-printing option allows users to release a print job at any public printer
- Wireless printing is available
What is the WebPortal and How do I Use it?
The WebPortal is how users access their web accounts to add funds, upload documents from a non-library computer, and track their printing history. Once users has uploaded funds, and have sent a print job to be released, they may go to any NUPrint touchscreen and swipe their WildCARD, which identifies them, based on the student or staff ID number found on the card. Assuming they have an account in the new system with funds associated with it, their print jobs are then displayed on the touchscreen. Their balance is also displayed. The users can then select which jobs they want to release.
To Get Started
To get started as a Northwestern user of NUPrint, you will first need to set up your account. You can do this in one of two ways:
- Go to https://nuprint.northwestern.edu and log in with your NetID. Set a PIN and add funds to your account.
- Send a job to be printed and go to the printer to release it. When you swipe your WildCARD for the first time, you will be prompted to log in with your NetID and set your PIN if you haven't already done so.*
This method assumes you have already added funds to your account.
If you are printing or photocopying as a Guest User, please consult the 'Pay with Cash' section.
How to Print
NU Print Touchpad (Reference Room, LRC, and Level 2)
NU Print Touchpads are connected to printers and copy machines in the library. Swipe your WildCARD and enter your PIN number to login, or log in by typing in your NetID and password to:
- Create your initial NUPrint account
- See a list of all job being held in print queues
- Release a specific print job to the attached printer
- Check your NUPrint balance
NU Print Web Portal
Point your Internet browser to https://nuprint.northwestern.edu. Use your NetID* and password to log in to the NUPrint Web Portal to:
- Create your initial NUPrint account
- Add money to your account using a credit card
- Check the balance on your account
- See a list of all your print jobs held in print queues
- See a history of your print activity
- Change your PIN Number
- Track your carbon footprint
*Guest NetIDs, issued at the Galter Library Circulation Desk, will not work with NUPrint. Guest users must log in at the LRC print station with their guest NetID and pay with cash.
NU Print Release Station (LRC)
One NU Print Release Station is located next to the printer in the LRC (with a coin box attached). You may log in to the NUPrint Release Station using your NetID and password to:
- Create your initial NUPrint account
- See a list of all jobs held in print queues
- Release prints waiting in a print queue to the attached printer
- Use cash to pay for your current print job
- Add cash to your NUPrint account
- Check the balance on your NUPrint account
Print your document from anywhere at any printer
NUPrint allows you to send a print job from anywhere: a library workstation, your laptop, or your home computer. And because print jobs are no longer tied to a particular printer, NUPrint also allows you to release your print job at any printer (on the same campus). If a printer is broken, just go to another printer.
- Single-sided black-and-white documents: 7 cents/page
- Double-sided black-and-white documents: 10 cents/sheet (or 5 cents per side)
- Color documents: 25 cents/page
*Guests paying with cash will not get change dispensed if the total of their print job is not in a 5 cent increment. The cash box is unable to dispense pennies, so the system will always round up to the next 5 cents. Guests can apply the remaining funds to their temporary NUPrint account or forfeit the change.
Submitting a document for printing from a library workstation
NUPrint can print any Microsoft Office document or PDF. If you wish to print a document in another format, such as an HTML or plain-text document, please convert it to an Office document or PDF first.
If you are printing an Office document, use the "Print Preview" option under the "File" tab to ensure that you print only the pages you desire.
Follow the normal procedure for printing from a PC or Mac. To ensure that your color document is printed in color, select a color printer before printing.
Remotely submitting a document for printing
To print a Microsoft Office document or PDF from your laptop or home computer, log on to the NUPrint WebPortal at https://nuprint.northwestern.edu. Click on "Web Print" in the left-hand column. On the Web Print screen, you will see a list of the print jobs you have already submitted, if there are any. Each entry in the list contains the date and time you submitted the print job, the printer at which the job will print, the name of the document, the number of pages in the document, the cost of printing the document, and the current status of the print job.
To submit a new print job, click on the "Select a Job" link and follow these steps:
- Select a printer. Toggle the radio button for the type of printer you wish to use. Please note that if you select a printer on the Evanston campus, you cannot then print your document on the Chicago campus, and vice versa.
- Select the number of copies of your document that you wish to print. The system default is one copy. If you wish to print more than one copy, enter the number of copies in the "Copies" field.
- Upload your document. Click on the "Browse" button to navigate to your document. When you have selected your document, click on the "Upload & Complete" button.
When you are finished submitting print jobs, log out of the NUPrint WebPortal by clicking on "Log Out" in the left-hand column.
Printing using a Touchpad printer
To release a print job from a printer connected to a touchpad, first log in at the touchpad in one of these two ways.
- Swipe the broad magnetic stripe on your WildCARD through the card reader on the side of the touchpad. When prompted to enter your PIN, tap in the PIN field, enter your PIN using the touchscreen keypad, and tap on "OK."
- Tap in the "Username" field, and use the touchscreen keyboard to enter your NetID. Tap on "OK" when you are done. Then tap in the "Password" field, and use the touchscreen keyboard to enter your password. Tap on "OK" when you are done.
When you have successfully logged in, you will see a screen with your name and NetID. Below that is a list of your waiting print jobs. Each entry in the list contains the date the print job was submitted, the name of the document, the class of printer to which the print job was sent, and the cost of printing the document.
To print all your print jobs at once, tap on the "Print All" button.
To learn more about a print job, tap on the print job in the list and then tap on the "Job Details" button. Tap on the "Back" button to return to the list of print jobs.
To release a print job, tap on the entry in the list and then tap on the "Print Job" button.
To delete a print job from the list, tap on the entry in the list and then tap on the "Cancel Job" button.
When you are finished, log out of the touchpad by tapping on the "Log Out" button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
Printing using a NUPRint Release Station printer
To release a print job from a printer connected to a Release Station, first log in at the Release Station in one of these two ways:
- Swipe the broad magnetic stripe on your WildCARD through the card reader on the side of the monitor. When prompted to enter your PIN, enter your PIN using the keyboard. Then click on the "OK" button.
- Enter your NetID in the "Username" field and your password in the "Password" field. Then click on the "OK" button.
When you have successfully logged in, you will see this screen with a list of your waiting print jobs. Each entry in the list contains the date the print job was submitted, the NetID of the person who submitted the print job, the class of printer to which the print job was sent, the name of the document, the number of pages in the document, and the cost of printing the document. Above the list of print jobs is your NetID, the amount of money in your online account, and the amount of money you have put in the coin box attached to the Release Station. If you have put more money in the coin box, click on the "Refresh" button to update the display
To release a print job from the list, click on the "Print" button for the print job.
To delete a print job from the list, click on the "Cancel" button for the print job, and click on the "Yes" button when prompted.
To delete all print jobs, click on the "Cancel All" button in the lower right hand corner of the screen, and click on the "Yes" button when prompted.
When you are finished, click on the "Done" button in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
Galter Library does not charge for the use of the BookScan station. With the BookScan scanner, you can email a scan or save it to a USB device or Google Docs.
How to use the BookScan station
- To scan a document, begin by tapping the screen of the BookScan station.
- Select the scanning device you wish to use. If you are scanning a bound document, select the flatbed scanner. If you are scanning loose sheets, select the scanner with the document feed. Then tap "Next."
- Select one of the three destinations for your scanned document: a USB drive, Google Docs, or email. Then tap "Next."
- Read the copyright and maximum file size notifications and tap on "Accept."
- Select your preferred file format, color mode, and resolution. BookScan defaults to PDF, grayscale, and standard resolution. To minimize the size of the scanned document, select "Photo Quality." Then tap "Next."
- Read the instructions on the screen for scanning your document and tap "Next."
- Scan your document, and tap on "Send" when you are finished.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to save or email your scanned document.
A 4 digit PIN number must be set when you first create your NUPrint account. It is used to confirm your identity when logging into your NUPrint account from a NUPrint Touchpad or NUPrint Release Station. You may change your PIN number by logging into the NUPrint Web Portal.
Why do I need a PIN number?
The 4 digit PIN number provides an extra layer of security on your NUPrint account when you swipe your WildCARD at a printer or copy machine. If your WildCARD is ever lost or stolen, it cannot be used to make prints without entering the correct PIN number. The PIN number combined with a swipe of your WildCARD provides an express method for charging prints to your NUPrint account and is usually much faster than typing in your NetID and password to pay for your prints.
Pay with Cash
Users who do not have NU WildCARDs must pay for their printing using cash. The printer in the Learning Resources Center (LRC) will be equipped with a cash box to faciliate users without WildCARDs. Users will log in with the temporary NetID they have been assigned at the front desk and pull up their print jobs that way.
Updated: July 25th, 2017 11:31