Senior Data Librarian
Phone: (312) 503-1209
As the Senior Data Librarian at the Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center at Northwestern University, I develop and deliver training in data management and data cleaning to clinical researchers, support staff and students at the Feinberg School of Medicine. I’ve been actively involved in the development and delivery of data-related classes and workshops through the Galter Library DataLab, a data-focused consultation and training core for our campus. I chair the Galter Library's Digital Initiatives Working Group (DIWG), charged with executing and communicating digital improvements being implemented across the library and related university systems. I also co-chair the DIWG’s Metadata Subcommittee, a group committed to metadata standards and improvement related to library cataloging and maintenance of the institutional repository. In addition I serve as the Community Manager of the international InvenioRDM repository software development project.
- Gonzales S, Champieux R, Contaxis N, Denton AH, Hosseini M, Surkis A, Wescott A, Holmes K. Clinical and Translational Science Personas: Expansion and use cases. J Clin Transl Sci. 2023 Jun 8;7(1):e147. doi: 10.1017/cts.2023.572. PMID: 37456266; PMCID: PMC10346007.
- Gonzales S, Carson MB, Holmes K. Ten simple rules for maximizing the recommendations of the NIH data management and sharing plan. PLoS Comput Biol 2022;18(8): e1010397. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1010397
- Contaxis N, Clark J, Dellureficio A, Gonzales S, Mannheimer S, Oxley PR, et al. Ten simple rules for improving research data discovery. PLoS Comput Biol 2022;18(2): e1009768. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1009768
- Gonzales S, Carson MB, Viger G, O’Keefe L, Allen NB, Ferrie JP, & Holmes K. User Testing with Microinteractions. Information Technology and Libraries. 2021;40(1). doi.org/10.6017/ital.v40i1.12341
- Gonzales S, O'Keefe L, Gutzman K, Viger G, Wescott AB, Farrow B, Heath AP, Kim MC, Taylor D, Champieux R, Yen PY, Holmes K. Translational Personas and Hospital Library Services. J Hosp Librariansh. 2020;20(3):204-216. doi: 10.1080/15323269.2020.1778983. Epub 2020 Aug 5. PMID: 33727894; PMCID: PMC7959110.
- Gonzales S, O'Keefe L, Gutzman K, Viger G, Wescott AB, Farrow B, Heath AP, Kim MC, Taylor D, Champieux R, Yen PY, Holmes K. Personas for the translational workforce. J Clin Transl Sci. 2020 Jan 10;4(4):286-293. doi: 10.1017/cts.2020.2. PMID: 33244408; PMCID: PMC7681142.
Catlin-Legutko, Cinnamon, and Stacy Klingler, Bob Beatty, Cherie Cook, Elizabeth Merritt, Sara Gonzales, Steve Friesen, Harold Skramstad, Susan Skramstad, Teresa Goforth, and Katie Anderson. Small Museum Toolkit: v1: Leadership, Mission, and Governance. Lanham: AltaMira Press, 2012.
Case Reports, Letters, and Editorials
- Gonzales, S. Working Together To Preserve History. History News. 2010;65(2):17-20. http://www.jstor.org/stable/42655444.
- Gonzales S, and J. Connors-Joyner. AAM NOW - CAP and MAP: Helping Museums on the Road to Accreditation. Museum. 2009;88(6):70.
Practice Guidelines, Standards, and Consensus Statements
Holmes, Kristi, Gonzales, Sara, Schneider, Juliane, O'Keefe, Lisa, Carson, Matthew, Haendel, Melissa, & McMurry, Julie. (2020, January 10). CTSA Program Center for Data to Health Response: NIH Requests Public Comment on a Draft Policy for Data Management and Sharing and Supplemental Draft Guidance; January 10, 2020; Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3766859
Presentations and Posters
- Carson, M. B., Gonzales, S., Shaw, P., Schneider, D., Holmes, K. A Library-based Data Retrieval and Management Training Program for Clinical Researchers. Research Data Alliance 17th Plenary Meeting; April 20-23; Edinburgh, Scotland (Virtual); 2021.
- Carson, M. B., Gonzales, S., Viger, G. InvenioRDM: A Next-Generation Repository for Research Data Management . Presentation at Biomedical Data Science Day, February 4, 2020, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL.
- Cano, M., Zhou, X., Xin, J., Lelong, S., Gonzales, S., Carson, M. B., Holmes, K. L., Wu, C. Data Discovery Engine: A web-based toolset for maximizing data discoverability and promoting reusable data-sharing best practices. Rocky Bioinformatics Conference; December 5-7; Aspen/Snowmass, CO: International Society for Computational Biology; 2019.
- Carson, M. B., Shaw, P., Gonzales, S., Holmes, K. Galter DataLab: Bridging the Skills Gap for Informatics Researchers Through a Health Sciences Library . Presentation at AMIA 2019 Informatics Educators Forum, St. Louis, MO.
- Gonzales S., Viger G., Carson M. B., Holmes K. Beyond Accessibility: Taking the Institutional Repository to the Next Generation. Research Data Alliance 13th Plenary Meeting; April 1-4; Philadelphia, PA; 2019. [third prize in the Best Poster Award competition]
- Carson, M. B., Shaw, P., Gonzales, S., Holmes, K. Galter DataLab: Expanded Informatics Training Through a Health Sciences Library . Poster presented at AMIA 2019 Informatics Educators Forum, St. Louis, MO.
Updated: August 8, 2023