An introduction to the basic aspects of creating, building, and managing a collection of bibliographic references using EndNote software. Learn how to add citations to an EndNote library and create a bibliography in Word using an EndNote library.
Depending on the instructor, this class might be taught using a Windows or a Mac OS. All users should be able to follow along regardless of platform.
At the completion of this class, the participant will:
- Understand the purpose of using EndNote, a bibliographic management program
- Know how to create a new library and add references to an existing library by manual entry, by searching databases through EndNote software, and by importing search results from a saved database search
- Be able to perform searches and edit references within an EndNote library
- Know how to use EndNote in conjunction with Microsoft Word to insert citations within text and generate a bibliography formatted in a desired style
- Know how EndNote can be acquired
Galter librarians have also created video tutorials for the previous version, EndNote X9, which cover all the basics. However, there are enough differences with EndNote 20, that we recommend using the newer video tutorials on the EndNote YouTube channel for the best EndNote 20 training experience.
Our EndNote X9 videos are hosted in Northwestern Medicine's institutional repository, DigitalHub, and require an NU NetID login. Once in DigitalHub, click the "Download" link for the best quality.
- EndNote X9 Part 1: Getting Started: Video | Transcript
- EndNote X9 Part 2a: Getting Citations In: Video | Transcript
- EndNote X9 Part 2b: Getting Citations In: Video | Transcript
- EndNote X9 Part 3: Organizing Citations: Video | Transcript
- EndNote X9 Part 4: Getting Citations Out: Video | Transcript
- Endnote X9 Mac Terms List: Video | Transcript