This class provides an introduction to techniques and information resources that are useful for doing research in the history of medicine and dentistry, particularly using resources available in the Galter Health Sciences Library.
CLASS OBJECTIVES: At the completion of this class, the participant will:
- Understand the physical layout of materials in the Galter Library by date and collection (pre-1975, Special Collections and Archives, and Reference)
- Understand how to differentiate when it is appropriate to search for historical materials using the university online catalog, NUcat versus the card catalog
- Know how to conduct a MEDLINE search with emphasis on retrieving historical articles
- Be familiar with other databases and print indexes useful for searching topics of historical interest (NLM Gateway, Index Medicus)
- Know about resources to check for items of historical interest to Northwestern University and its schools (publications, class portraits)
- Be aware of resources and techniques to check for obituaries and biographical information about medical persons
- Be familiar with some quality Internet resources for historical research
History of Medicine GalterList
There are no Historical Research in Medicine and Dentistry classes scheduled at this time.