Sign in now to place a new interlibrary loan (ILL) / document delivery request or to check the status of a previous request.
First time users will be prompted to login with your NetID and password and create an account. When creating a new account, Feinberg School of Medicine affiliates should choose "Galter Health Sciences Library" as their primary library in their account. *Students in the MS in Medical Informatics (MMI) and the MS in Clinical Research and Regulatory Administration programs should use the Schaffner Library's Interlibrary Loan services.
Types of Materials
- Articles and books that the Galter Library does not own, including materials located at other NU libraries or off-site storage.
- Copies of print articles that the Galter Library owns. (If the article is already available electronically, please download it from the library website)
Any physical items you have requested will be available for pick up at the Galter Library Circualtion Desk during regular library hours. Articles you have requested will be available for download when you log on to your account.
Interlibrary loan (ILL) and document delivery services at the Galter Library are available to the following groups:
- currently-affiliated Feinberg School of Medicine faculty, staff, students*, and residents
- physicians and staff at NMH and RIC
- Feinberg School of Medicine faculty at locations other than NMH, RIC, or Lurie Children's Hospital
*Students in the MS in Medical Informatics (MMI) and the MS in Clinical Research and Regulatory Administration programs should use the Schaffner Library's Interlibrary Loan services. You can still create an ILL account from this page, but you should choose Distance Education or Schaffner Library as your primary library in the online account profile.
Note for Alumni: Document delivery services for alumni of the Feinberg School of Medicine are available through Loansome Doc.
If you are not a member of one of the above groups and you think you should still have access to document delivery services at the Galter Library, please contact User Services at (312) 503-8126.
Costs and Timeframe
There is no charge for requests for FSM faculty, staff, students and residents. On your behalf, the library pays any and all fees associated with borrowing an item from another library. High volume or cost-prohibitive requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We reserve the right to charge requestors to cover copyright and other processing fees. In additioin, there may be charges if an item we have borrowed for you is lost or damaged while in your possession. Other possible charges are as follows:
- Interlibrary Loan to a requesting library: $ 20.00
- Loansome Doc request: $25.00 (alums should use this service for article requests whether or not the library owns the item)
Although the time it takes to obtain an item varies widely depending on its availability, please see the table below for an idea of when to expect your request. The process can be expedited in the cases of emergency patient care or grant deadlines. Please contact the ILL staff directly for emergency requests.
- Items from other Northwestern locations - 1 – 3 working days
- Physical items from outside institutions - 6 – 10 working days
- Articles from outside institutions - 2 – 7 working days
Hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm | Monday-Friday
In Person: The ILL office is located in room 1-191, on the First Floor of the Galter Health Sciences Library.
Call: (312) 503-1908
- To place a renewal request yourself, login to your ILL account, click on the transaction number for the book listed under your “Checked Out Items,” and then click on the “Renew Request” text that appears in the upper-left section of the page.
To have us place a renewal request on your behalf, contact us by email or phone and we will send a request to the lender.
Updated: January 4th, 2019 12:06