Share Your COVID-19 Stories
Galter Library is gathering materials to archive the experiences of the Feinberg School of Medicine community during this extraordinary time. Learn more and submit your story.
Library Access and Services
Galter Library staff are working remotely. We do not have any staff on site.
Galter Library's Extended Hours Study Space is open only to Feinberg School of Medicine affiliated faculty, staff, and students. To enter the library, you will be required to use your Wildcard for swipe access through the front entrance at 320 E. Superior Street.
All resources and services remain uninterrupted, and will be maintained at their current levels.
- For reference questions, please email Galter Reference (monitored 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday) or contact your liaison librarian directly.
- Galter Library classes will be delivered remotely. The library will contact class registrants with details on joining their class online.
- GalterGuides continue to be a one-stop portal for library instructional content and expert-recommended subject resources.
- Circulation of physical materials is temporarily suspended. Automatic renewal has been activated for all Northwestern materials and interlibrary loan items. Please keep the items you currently have checked out until further notice; there will be no penalties.
We remind our patrons who may use the Galter Library physical space that you should sit one person per table and wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
Can I still meet with a librarian for a consult or to ask a reference question?
All meetings and consults for the forseeable future will be conducted online or by phone.
- If you have a general question about access or resources, please contact the library's reference desk by email (monitored 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). There are no library staff currently on site at Galter Library.
- If you need assistance with a search, systematic review, database support, or EndNote training, contact your liaision librarian. Depending on your need, we will work with you to determine the best way to assist you. That might be an email conversation, a phone call, or an online meet-up using Zoom. Don't worry, the business of assisting you with your information needs will be conducted as usual.
I've signed up for a class on the Galter Library website or would like to in the near future. Are you still offering those?
Yes, we are! We've moved our instruction delivery to an online format. If you've signed up for a class or plan to soon, we will provide details by email on how to join the class using Zoom. If you've ever FaceTimed with anyone or conducted an online meeting, then you'll be familiar with that experience. We'll be able to share our screens, show you slides, do live deomonstrations, and respond to questions. It will be a little different than our usual delivery but we're confident we can make it work. And you'll always have online access to our librarians after your class for follow-up support.
I need to order items through interlibrary loan. Is that service still available?
All document delivery services are proceeding as usual. Most of our interlibrary loan (ILL) requests are sent to us electronically from other libraries. Due to closures at partner institutions, Galter has suspended ILL of physical items as well as scans from physical volumes. We expect this will affect a fraction of requests. We will continue to provide PDFs from electronic content.
How can I get technical help with library resources, meeting software, or anything else I need to work remotely?
All technical support is continuing as normal, although we recognize that there might be challenges if you're not used to working off-campus. Here's a rundown of who can help you and how:
- Library resource access (journals, books, databases): email Galter Library or call 312-503-8126 during our new business hours, 9am-5pm (leave a message and we'll get back to you)
- EndNote support: see our EndNote FAQs, contact your liaison librarian, or contact EndNote Technical Support
- IT support for teaching, learning, and working remotely: Feinberg Information Technology
- Taking an online class with Galter Library: Zoom meeting software. All classes will be recorded so you can play them back at your convenience.
Where can I find out more about Coronavirus, at Northwestern and beyond?
Check out our COVID-19 GalterGuide. We are adding to this daily.
Updated: March 0, 2020