The Collection Services and Acquisitions department encompasses acquisitions, collection development, cataloging, and print and electronic resources management in support of the library's goal to have a robust collection that serves the library's users. After acquiring and cataloging resources, the Department makes the resources available to Galter Library's users, and, in the case of electronic resources, maintains reliable access to them. When problems occur with access to electronic resources, librarians address them in a timely fashion. Librarians also enhance metadata for digital objects deposited into DigitalHub, Galter's digital repository for the Feinberg community, and provide metadata creation and support for the Special Collections department.
The Collection Services and Acquisitions department is dedicated to providing rapid and reliable access to resources for Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine and its affiliated communities.
- GalterSearch - Galter Library's online catalog for resources of all formats, including electronic, print, video, models, etc.
- DigitalHub - Galter Library's digital repository for Feinberg, which includes Open Access journal articles, posters, presentations, datasets, and more by authors from Feinberg and Northwestern
- Archival and Manuscript Collections - online finding aids for manuscripts and special collections material for all of Northwestern libraries, including collections in Galter's Special Collections
- For questions about accessing or using electronic resources, please contact the Reference team, (312) 503-8109
- To access electronic reserves, or put an item on reserve for a course, see Reserves and Copyright Policies
Gifts of Materials to the Library
As part of the selection process, the Department accepts relevant gifts of books. For questions about material donations to the Library contact Ramune Kubilius, Collection Development/Special Projects Librarian, (312) 503-1912.
Cataloging and Metadata
Librarians create catalog records for every resource owned by the Galter Library. Records are also created for certain Open Access electronic resources that are freely available. All of the resources are cataloged using the appropriate standards (RDA, NISO, etc.) and metadata schema (MARC, EAD, XML, etc.). Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) are assigned to every resource, and print books and videorecordings are classified using the National Library of Medicine Classification. The Collections Services and Acquisitions department is also responsible for the quality control of all of the data in the Library's catalog. The Department participates in Northwestern University's LCSH/MeSH Mapping Project. For questions about cataloging and metadata contact Tony Olson, Cataloging Librarian, (312) 503-8125 or Joelen Pastva, Metadata Librarian, (312) 503-6020.
Assistant Collections Librarian
Updated: August 16th, 2017 10:48