Tony Olson, MALS, MS
Phone: (312) 503-8125
As cataloging librarian:
- I catalog all resources (electronic, print, non-print) acquired by the Galter Library.
- I create archival finding aids using the EAD (Encoded Archival Description) schema.
- I assist with the configuration of the Library’s discovery tool, Galter Search/Primo.
- I am the editor of the MeSH/LCSH mapping project. Since 1990 this project has mapped medical subject headings (MeSH) to their corresponding Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH).
- Shelby E. Harken, Bonnie A. Dede, Lois Mai Chan, Tony Olson, Ruth A. Bogan, Shannon L. Hoffmann, Daniel S. Lovins. Subject Semantic Interoperability : Final Report of the Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability to the ALCTS Subject Analysis Committee (Chicago : Association for Library Collections and Technical Services, 2007)
- David Miller, Tony Olson, Sara Shatford Layne. "Promoting research and best practices in subject reference structures," Library Resources & Technical Services, vol. 49, no. 3, July 2005.
- Tony Olson. "Integrating LCSH and MeSH in Information Systems," in Subject Retrieval in a Networked World : proceedings of the IFLA Satellite Meeting held in Dublin, Ohio, 14-16 August 2001 (Munich, Germany : K.G. Saur, 2003)
- Tony Olson, Gary Strawn. "Mapping the LCSH and MeSH systems," Information Technology and Libraries, vol. 16, no. 1, March 1997.
- Sally C. Tseng, Janet L. Arcand, Judith M. Brugger, Margaret Finn, Tony Olson, Sally Sommers. "Serials standards work: the next frontier," Library Resources & Technical Services, vol. 34, no. 2, April 1990.
- "Enhancing MeSH Authority Records and the Use of FAST." Presented at the Endeavor Users' Group Meeting in Chicago, IL, April 24, 2003.
- "The Integration of Information Languages and Interoperability." Presented at a program at the ALA Annual Conference entitled: Real World Steps to Interoperability between Electronic Resources, June 16, 2002 in Atlanta, GA.
- "Digitization of the G.V. Black Collection of Manuscripts and Photographs in the Galter Health Sciences Library of Northwestern University"; a progress report made at a meeting of the participants in the Digital Imaging of Illinois and Cultural Heritage Material Project, in Springfield, IL, May 6, 2002.
- "Integrating LCSH and MeSH in Information Systems." Presented at the IFLA Satellite Meeting on Subject Retrieval in a Networked Environment, August 14-16, 2001, OCLC, Dublin, Ohio.
- "MeSH and LCSH in the unified subject index." Presented at the NOTIS Users Group meeting, October 1995, Chicago, IL.
- "Multiple subject systems in the online catalog." Poster presented at the Medical Library Association annual convention, May 1995, Washington, DC.
- "Editorial considerations in the mapping of the MeSH and LCSH systems." Presented at the Medical Library Association annual convention, June 1991, San Francisco, CA.
- "MeSH authority records in NOTIS." Presented at the NOTIS Users Group meeting, October 1990, Chicago, IL
- "Updating online MeSH authority records." Presented at the NOTIS Health Sciences Users Group, May 1990, Detroit, MI.
- "MeSH authority records in MARC format." Presented at the NOTIS Health Sciences Users Group, May 1989, Boston, MA.
- "Implementing the NOTIS circulation subsystem." Presented to the NOTIS Health Sciences Users Group, May 1986, Minneapolis, MN.
- "NOTIS, an online library system." Presented at the Medical Library Association annual convention, June 1982, Anaheim, CA.
Updated: April 24, 2014